July 12, 2010

12. The drive back home

There was a heavy heavy downpour by the time I usually leave from office. This was the indication of an exponential increase in the time that I would require to get back home. Well, the decision was made to sit back and gossip till the crowd reaches home and the roads become drive worthy.

Even though the idea was to sit back and gossip and vile out time, it eventually did not turn up into much gossip. It rather turned into doing extra work at the eleventh hour. Anyways, all is fair in work and war. The time to leave had to be postponed owing to the turbulence created from news being broad-casted about trees falling and water clogging routes and so on and so forth.

Finally, the heart was made ready to hit the paddle. The drive started off easy till the first 200 ms. Then came a puddle, or should I be saying a lake. It was not the first time that I was driving based on an estimate of where the road would be rather than actually being able to catch a glimpse of concrete. This is what I would be calling the beauty of Concretion. Well after about 40 ms or so I did get a chance to get back on solid grounds. There on I thought that the road would be better. But that was a bad bad assumption. I had barely moved some 50 ms till the time i reached another lake. Well thereafter there were fewer lakes and my poor friend had to breeze through 2-3 feet deep water or should I be saying water beautified pitch black by the underground links.

What troubles me is not the water itself, but the roads which fail to cope up with such short bursts of rain. Every year the same thing happens and every year the roads are repaired. This causes the roads to get clogged mostly round the year. Sometimes it is the rains, sometimes its construction and sometimes it is just the bulk of traffic merging from 8 lane roads to 3 lane roads. The initiatives that are taken to resolve the crisis might always be cryptic to me, but I do hope that there are initiatives, as I don't think it would be a wise idea to just work from home all the time. You know what the saying is: "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

It's time to grab a bite. Hence, time to sign off !!  

No comments:

Post a Comment